Sunday, January 8, 2012

On Board for the Future

I am taking part in Bootsnall's 2012 Indie Travel Challenge, in which they are posting a different prompt, question, or challenge every week for all of 2012. This week they want us to post our 2012 Indie Travel List. Part resolutions list, part bucket list, it's meant to help us focus our travel plans so we can take concrete steps toward achieving our goals.


The other night a group of girlfriends and I got together with a stack of magazines, scissors, glue sticks, and a few bottles of wine, and envisioned what it was we wanted for our future. We cut out images that fit our vision of the future and we each created our own "vision board", a visual reminder of what we want out of life. Some of their vision boards had images of nice homes, families, or wealth. Mine, inevitably, was a little more global in perspective (maybe because I only buy travel magazines):

My vision board

I tried looking through magazines the other girls had brought, and nothing appealed to me. Images of babies, bedroom sets and wedded bliss just didn't fit my vision. So it looks a life of travel for me, and I am just fine with that.

Below is a list of my goals for the future in relation to the vision board above. Some of these are part of my travel bucket list, others are just general goals. And they're not necessarily just for this year, as I'm not sure how much travelling I'll be able to do this year. I figure if I have my goals displayed on my vision board and on my blog, I will be more motivated to achieve them. Here's hoping.

1. Go to Guatemala and learn Spanish. Properly. This is a dream I've had for a long time and I resolve to do it. If I can manage it, I will do it in 2012. A friend of mine is planning a trip to Nicaragua this year, so I may tag along and head to Guatemala on my own afterwards.

2. Volunteer abroad/work overseas. I've already done this, but I plan to do more of it. Maybe teaching English? I want to find a job that I LOVE and look forward to going to every day. (UPDATE: In January 2013 I will be teaching English in Seoul, S. Korea. Maybe I'll love it?)

3. Go back to Africa. If all works out, this could be happening next year. Included in this goal is trekking into Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda and seeing the gorillas. And visiting Madagascar. I think my life would then be complete. (UPDATE: In February 2013 I'm going back to Tanzania as an intern and research assistant)

4. Take a trip on a boat. Anywhere. Preferably somewhere tropical, but I'm not picky. After sailing on the wooden dhows in Zanzibar and Lamu last year, I think I'm in love. (UPDATE: As of March 2012 I work on a cruise ship so this is technically completed. But I was thinking more sail boat than cruise ship.)

5. Go to India. I have dreams of Varanasi that will not leave me alone.

6. Ride in a hot air balloon. Preferably in Turkey.

7. Go to Colombia. Sleep in a hammock in Tayrona National Park. Trek to the Lost City. Communicate in fluent Spanish after perfecting it in Guatemala.

8. Learn to surf and scuba dive. I think Australia sounds like a good place for both.

9. Buy a better camera and improve my photography skills. Last year I lost one camera (most likely after too many beers at a Vancouver Canucks game) and another was stolen in Nairobbery...I'm presently taking blurry photos with my Blackberry. (UPDATE: Some photos I took in Tanzania will be on display at a local gallery in December, guess my skills are alright!)

10. Get those tattoos I've been thinking about: dragonfly for my grandparents; pink star for Chantelle, my very dear friend that passed away; and Nazca lines just because I love Peru. Now that this is out there in cyberspace I have to actually do it right?

11. See penguins and glaciers in Antarctica. A friend and I have decided to do this for our 30th birthdays. Better start saving now.

12. Get healthy and happy. I'm going to start by hiking more. I live in the mountains, so I don't really have an excuse not to.

There we have it, 12 goals for 2012 and beyond. What are your goals for this year, travel related or otherwise?



This post is part of Bootsnall's 2012 Indie Travel Challenge

4 comments:

  1. It's a good list Jesse. I really want to do trips to Africa and Antarctica too (as well as the Arctic). Highly recommend the camera upgrade too, although have to warn you - its addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. If you haven't been to Africa, you really need to go. I can't even explain how much I love East Africa. Just upgraded my camera too...can't wait to go somewhere and get some real use out of it :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great list. Great idea, I should do this too! I also seem to have predominantly travel magazines to work with.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the variety in your list! You have lots to look forward to. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what you think